Monday, June 11, 2007

Singers' Gadgets & Gear

Hey guys & girls... I want to talk about gadgets. Singers' gadgets, that is. Here's my new favorite purchase- it's a dynamite little device that I use almost every day:
  • Sony ICD-SX25 Digital Voice Recorder

I got mine on Amazon for $99... I think it was on sale. It was suggested by my blogging mentors, "The Blog Squad" at http://www.buildabetterblog.com/. They use it to record teleseminars. I use it to create cds!

  • I record a voice lesson or song demo,
  • upload it with the software it comes with,
  • and save it as a .wav file on my desktop.
  • Then I open my Nero Burning program, add this wav file and burn a really clear and amazingly good quality cd!

Its only downside... it won't save the file as an mp3. For this, I use a cheap software called "Mp3 Wav Editor 2.30". I add the wav file from my desktop and convert it to an mp3 file, which can be emailed easily or added to an mp3 player. You might want to look for a newer digital recorder which DOES have the capability to save in mp3 format.

And by the way... you don't have to spend a fortune on an mp3 player. I-pod, schmy-pod... there's a 1G Sansa mp3 player for under $80 at Radio Shack.

OK... please share... what's your favorite gear these days??? It doesn't have to be electric... anything useful for your music will do...Click "comment" below and let us know!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like my Sure in ear monitor. Some people prefer to use ear plugs or musicians plugs (much much cheaper for sure) but you just can't beat having your voice pumped directly into your ear! Even when my band is playing at full volume, I can hear every nuance in my voice and as a result, it is much easier to keep your tone and pitch. Mine was about $800 for the package though and I think that's about as cheap as they come brand new. It really is worth it though. :)

Judy Rodman said...

Thank you for the recommendation for Sure in-ear monitors. I love getting info from users of these products instead of just the marketing hype.

Thx again... and be sure to visit my current blog at http://judyrodman.com/blog .

Anonymous said...

RCA 256MB Digital Voice Recorder RP5130 records in MP3 format
I believe that my Creative Zen micro also records in MP3 format. It's built in microphone is great when close to source. I'm not sure if I could hook up an external microphone to it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting us know about the gear that does record in mp3 format. I do wish I'd gotten one of those instead of having to go through the extra conversion step when I want to email a music file. Argh.

Al Andrew said...

Great Blog !
Have to say my Sennheiser In Ear Monitor System with built in limmiters and my sennheiser wireless handheld condenser is on top of my gadget list but I recently aquired a TC-Helicon Voicelive2 ! It is blowing my mind, I am digging deep into this device and strongly recommend it for serious vocalists ! For Studio and live it is a true investment.